30 Self-care Tips
Self-care is still as important as ever. We’ve been dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic for over a year now and although life has started to get back to ‘normal’, we still need to make sure we are taking the time to look after ourselves both physically and mentally. To help you do this, this month we have put together 30 self-care tips (below), one for each day of the month. They can be done in any order and you may choose to do more than one at a time, the important thing is that each day you take a moment to achieve some self-care.
What is self-care?
Self-care refers to the activities and practices that we engage in on a regular basis to maintain and enhance our health and wellbeing. By incorporating self-care activities into your daily routine, you give your body and mind time to rest, reset, and rejuvenate, so you can avoid and hopefully reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety.
30 Self-care tips:
- Take five long, deep, calming breaths.
- Write yourself a letter. What do you want to tell the past or future you?
- Spend 15 minutes practicing yoga or meditation.
- Take a leisurely walk in nature and practice mindfulness with your soundings.
- Release yourself from your inner-critic.
6. Watch your favourite movie or TV show from Childhood. Enjoy the nostalgia.
7. Forgive yourself today for a past transgression.
8. Stop comparing yourself to others.
9. Plan a holiday or something to look forward to
10. Give yourself a rest day! Do nothing and don’t feel guilty about it!
11. Make a mindful cup of tea and read your favourite book.
12. Share how you’re feeling with someone you’re close with.
13. Spend 15 minutes on a creative exploit.
14. Be still. Find somewhere green or by the water and simply enjoy the quiet for a few minutes.
15. Take a moment to watch the clouds go by.
16. Do something today that will make you laugh.
17. Enjoy a sleep in!
18. Call a friend or family member you haven’t spoken to in a while.
19. Have a social media free day (after this post, of course).
20. Check in with your emotions. Observe your thoughts non-judgementally.
21. Say “no” and don’t berate yourself for it.
22. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help if you need it.
23. Be completely in the moment!
24. Enjoy an at home spa day.
25. Light your favourite candle and allow the comforting aroma to fill your home.
26. Remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day! Especially if you’re having a bad day. It’s always good to remember that no two days are the same.
27. Gratitude! What are three things you’re grateful for today?
28. Repeat after me “I am enough!”
29. Treat yourself to your favourite meal or dessert (or both).
30. Listen to your favourite band or song on repeat. Sing. Loud! Feel the music.
If you’d like to work through more ways to apply self-care strategies, you can book in to see one of our clinicians here at The Anna Centre. You can reach us by calling us on (03) 5442 5066 or emailing us at email@example.com
Please be advised that The Anna Centre is not a crisis or emergency support service. In times of crisis please call Bendigo Health Psychiatric Triage on 1300 363 788 or your local psychiatric triage.
The tips in this article were adapted from the “Thirty days of you” lift-out in Breathe magazine, issue 15.